A friend of mine is having a party this weekend with the theme “All Things Green.” It also happens to be held the day before my birthday, so of course I need to come up with something special. I came across a recipe that’s such a nostalgia bomb, I just had to do it.
Ready for it?
REPTAR BARS. You read correctly, dear readers. There is a recipe floating around the internets for the memorable cartoon candy that turns your tongue green.
Alas, I do not have any dinosaur molds. What I do have, however, are STAR WARS molds! I have the Millennium Falcon and Darth Vader, to be specific.
I got the recipe from food blogger Sydney of The Crepes of Wrath. Below is her recipe, but instead of milk chocolate, I used Ghirardelli’s 60% dark chocolate.
Author: The Crepes of Wrath
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 24 ounces (or 2 bags) milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- green food coloring (I prefer the gel kind)
- ¼ cup melted caramels
- Line 2 8×8 pans or 4 miniature loaf pans with parchment paper and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Over a double boiler, melt your chocolate, stirring constantly, until smooth. You can use the microwave or a regular pot if you don’t have a double boiler (although you can make one by finding two pans that fit inside of each other and filling the bottom one with about 2 inches of water, bringing to a boil, and setting your 2nd pan on top), just be careful and stir constantly, as the chocolate has the tendency to burn.
- When your chocolate is fully melted, pour half of it evenly among your pans (for example, I used 2 8×8 pans, so I used ¼ of my chocolate for each pan) and place the pans in your freezer for 5-10 minutes, until firm. While the chocolate firms up, melt your marshmallow in the microwave for 15 seconds or so, just to make it easier to stir, and stir in your food coloring until it is bright green. Melt the caramels in the microwave, too, for about 15-20 second intervals, stirring until melted and smooth. Working quickly, spread your fluff evenly among your pans, then drizzle your caramel evenly among the pans. When you spread the fluff, be sure to leave at least ½-inch of space around the edges of the chocolate – if you don’t do this, your chocolate will force the marshmallow out through the sides and make a mess. Pour the remaining chocolate on top, then place in the fridge or freezer to firm up. Cut into bars or serve whole and enjoy. These will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge or a cool spot for up to 1 week.
- See more at: http://crepesofwrath.net/2012/05/14/reptar-bars-2/#sthash.oDIhIiqN.dpuf